Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Busy Busy Busy...

Hi -

It's been a busy start to the year - Last Thursday and Friday I ended up working two 13 hour days! Long days, but I didn't mind as I was asked to present the BBC Radio Manchester drivetime show again. I'd also been working early reading the morning news bulletins, but you know me, radio tart! I've really enjoyed presenting the shows, and feel more confident. Until now I've not had the chance to get my teeth into a show as I've only covered for one day, two at the most.

Outside work, there's some exciting developments, but I need to get them confirmed before I can talk about it on here. Come back in a couple of weeks and I'll be able to let you know.

I treated myself to a big TV in the sales, and have had fun with my dad trying to mount it on the wall. Believe me, it's not as easy as it looks! Now it's on the wall, it's great. I hoping to treat myself to a Playstation 3 when they are launched too, so I can take advantage of the HD functions. I'd like to get Sky HD but I don't think there is enough content yet to justify the subscription. The pictures look great, but I'll wait until more HD channels have launched before I make the switch. Have you got HD TV? What do you think?

I also like the look of the Logik Internet Radio. Apparantly you can receive around 5000 radio stations from around the world. I tried to hear what they sounded like in my local electrical shop, but they didn't have a WI-FI connection. Have you got one, are they any good?

5 comments:

Paul Hurst said...

Steve HDTV is amazing! Well worth the money and with either the PS3 or XBOX 360, the graphics are stunning! (I have the X360)

... As a fellow journo, you may appreciate this too. I'm waiting to see which big media player is first to launch a HD 24 hour news channel. I have a suspicion that it may be Sky first but who knows?...

Anyway, hope your enjoying the telly and if you do get Sky HD then the History Channel HD is amazing along with the Discovery Channel. Sky One HD is naff (seems to be upscaled content at best)

Paul

Steve Saul said...

Hi Paul, Thanks for your message.

The trouble with launching an HD News channel is that your material comes from such a wide variety of sources. It would only be the home made and studio content in HD.

But, believe it or not, it has been done. I think the new Al Jazerra English is being produced in HD, though not currently transmitting in the format.

Sky News has only recently gone widescreen, so suspect it could be a while before they move to HD, but I suspect they will be one of the first.

Paul Hurst said...

Have you seen AJ english? What do you think of it?

I can't quite make my mind up.

Steve Saul said...

Very well produced and presented.

Seems a little dry for me, though I dont think I'm in the target audience

Unknown said...

I've heard that CNN are soon to start an HD service in Amercia.

So maybe it will be made available in the UK via Sky.

What do you think about IPTV?