Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Late night....

Back on the old late shift this week. It feels like old times.

I did the late shift in Leeds for five years, and by the end I was really fed up of it. In fact I think I was depressed, though didn't go to the doctor.

As you know, if you've been reading the blog, I've been working in Manchester since January 2006 doing a variety of shifts. It's enabled me to find my social life again, catch up with friends, and even meet my girlfriend Susan.

There's something about the late shift though, the empty office, the bizarre phone calls from listeners, dealing with breaking news stories. You are left to get on with it, there's no pressure and can work at your own pace. As long as the news bulletins are read and are up to date and have prepared some news for the important breakfast show, it can, SOMETIMES, be relaxing.

And the fact I'm not doing the late shift every night makes it that much better.

A busy couple of weeks coming up with trips to sunny Blackpool and Dublin... I'll tell you more about those later....

Finally, congratulations to my friend Paul Smith, who has just been made Programme Controller at Century Radio in the North East! Fab!

No comments: